As we all take time out of our busy lives to give thanks today, I thought it a good idea to sit down and reflect on the year. It’s far too easy to get caught up in the daily grind and lose sight of the things that are really important in life. I have so many things to be thankful for – I wanted to share some of them with all of you.
- I’m thankful that I am growing older – despite my many complaints, it’s still far better than the alternative.
- I’m thankful for my family. I am married to a wonderful, patient, and caring woman (who is, by far, the best thing that ever happened to me), and I have been blessed with two phenomenal kids who are the center of my world.
- I’m thankful that I have been able to pass my love of reading and all things “Star Wars” on to my son. It validates the geekdom of my youth.
- I’m thankful for my true friends. You know who you are, and I appreciate all you do for me. (I’m taking applications if anyone else would like to join up…)
- I’m thankful for this blog. It’s given me the opportunity to chat with some amazing people this year, talk with some incredibly talented authors about their work, and provided me with a much needed creative outlet.
- I’m thankful for everyone serving in our armed forces. Agree with their missions or not, they have volunteered to do a job that most of us have not (myself included). Their service, both past and present, is the reason I am able to write this and you are able to read it.
- I’m thankful for my job. I have the opportunity to work with great people in an industry that I love – and I get paid to do it. You can’t ask for more than that – (aside from a raise now and then…)
- I’m thankful for music. It has surrounded my life- permeated it – in so many ways for as long as I can remember. It’s one of the few threads that run through my life from childhood to today.
- I’m thankful for my wife’s signature cookies. They’ve help make me a lot of friends over the years. And, no – I can’t share the recipe with you.
- I’m thankful for my freedom. Without that, everything else is just window dressing.
Take a moment and think about all that you have to be thankful for this year. You may find it’s more than you thought. I hope that all of you have a wonderful and happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the food, the family, the friends, and the football!
© 2010, The Word Zombie. All rights reserved.