I had a chance to take my family to see “Star Wars: Episode 1″ in 3D this weekend. Neither of my children had ever had the opportunity to see Episode 1 on the big screen – and it’s hard to believe, but it’s been almost 13 years since I’ve seen it theaters. As I left the theater, I had few thoughts on the day. I thought I would share them with you.
- Lucasfilm and ILM did a very good job with the 3D conversion. Given all of the CGI in Eps 1-3, it’s no surprise it looks good. I’ll be anxious to see what the original trilogy looks like in 3D.
- “Duel of the Fates” is one the best pieces of music John Williams has ever written.
- The light saber battle between Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon is the epitome of Jedi badass-ery. The fluidity, grace, and aggression on display there is a thing of beauty.
- Jar-Jar Binks remains a disgrace and a distraction. He makes the Ewoks look Shakespearean.
- More than half the theater was filled with kids. For some reason, that makes me feel a little bit better about the future of America.
- Any day spent watching Star Wars with my family is a good day.
© 2012, The Word Zombie. All rights reserved.