Tag Archives: Thanksgiving
Last year I shared with you ten things I was thankful for on Thanksgiving. It gave me an opportunity to sit down and reflect on the year and really served to start my day off well. So, in the spirit of giving, I’ve decided to make it an annual event and share ten more things I’m thankful for this year. It’s not an exhaustive list (and I’m still thankful for almost everything from last year’s list), so consider this more an expansion of that list, not a replacement. Either way, I hope you enjoy it.
- I’m thankful for the new opportunities and challenges I’ve been given this year. I’m not one to enjoy standing still – it’s good to have motion in my life.
- I’m thankful for the support of my family and friends. Those new opportunities have come with a healthy dose of change – and without the support of those closest to me, I wouldn’t have even considered them.
- I’m thankful that my wife has a love of scrapbooking. She is capturing so many moments, both large and small, that we will be able to savor again and again like a fine wine in our old age.
- I’m thankful for the time I got to spend with my grandfather before he passed away this year. Saying goodbye is never easy – but it’s far better than not getting the chance to say anything at all.
- I’m thankful for the light in my daughter’s eyes as she greets me at the door when I get home from work each night. It always makes my day better.
- I’m thankful for books. I am still able to lose myself in them every single day. They open up new worlds to me, provide me with an escape when I need it most, and make me think about the world around me. They’ve helped me meet some very cool people over the last 18 months.
- I’m thankful for my grandmother’s strawberry cake. It is, quite possibly, the perfect food.
- I’m thankful for afternoons working on piano with my son. He doesn’t always enjoy it (especially my clapping to keep him in tempo), but sharing music with him brings me great joy.
- I’m thankful for warm blankets on a cold winter’s morning and cool sheets on a hot summer’s night.
- I’m thankful for my freedom. Okay, you’re right – this one was on last year’s list as well – but it’s so important, it bears repeating. Without freedom, we’re all just colorful paper puppets dancing at the end of someone else’s strings.
Take a moment and think about all you have to be thankful for this year. You may find it’s more than you thought. I hope all of you have a wonderful and happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the food, the family, the friends, and the football!
As we all take time out of our busy lives to give thanks today, I thought it a good idea to sit down and reflect on the year. It’s far too easy to get caught up in the daily grind and lose sight of the things that are really important in life. I have so many things to be thankful for – I wanted to share some of them with all of you.
- I’m thankful that I am growing older – despite my many complaints, it’s still far better than the alternative.
- I’m thankful for my family. I am married to a wonderful, patient, and caring woman (who is, by far, the best thing that ever happened to me), and I have been blessed with two phenomenal kids who are the center of my world.
- I’m thankful that I have been able to pass my love of reading and all things “Star Wars” on to my son. It validates the geekdom of my youth.
- I’m thankful for my true friends. You know who you are, and I appreciate all you do for me. (I’m taking applications if anyone else would like to join up…)
- I’m thankful for this blog. It’s given me the opportunity to chat with some amazing people this year, talk with some incredibly talented authors about their work, and provided me with a much needed creative outlet.
- I’m thankful for everyone serving in our armed forces. Agree with their missions or not, they have volunteered to do a job that most of us have not (myself included). Their service, both past and present, is the reason I am able to write this and you are able to read it.
- I’m thankful for my job. I have the opportunity to work with great people in an industry that I love – and I get paid to do it. You can’t ask for more than that – (aside from a raise now and then…)
- I’m thankful for music. It has surrounded my life- permeated it – in so many ways for as long as I can remember. It’s one of the few threads that run through my life from childhood to today.
- I’m thankful for my wife’s signature cookies. They’ve help make me a lot of friends over the years. And, no – I can’t share the recipe with you.
- I’m thankful for my freedom. Without that, everything else is just window dressing.
Take a moment and think about all that you have to be thankful for this year. You may find it’s more than you thought. I hope that all of you have a wonderful and happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the food, the family, the friends, and the football!